Monday, 16 February 2009

Yawn

After I had offered to look after a third child for the day today I did begin to wonder whether I have finally completely lost the plot. Let's face it there are days when I struggle to make it through to bedtime with two children to run around after, never mind adding another into the equation. And never mind the fact that I had previously only ever seen this child at the school doors, being ushered in and out of class.

As it turned out today was a lovely day. Admittedly the first half an hour or so after she arrived I was counting down the hours wondering how we would fill the day, but all three girls got on really well, and this was helped by the fact that our visitor was an absolute pleasure to have around. She was completely unphased by the fact that she was spending the day at a new house, with a strange adult, she made sure little sister was included in the games and she was polite and positive throughout the day. How lovely.

I think the extra responsibility has done me in though. I have no idea how teachers keep their eye on an entire class from 9am through to 3pm five days a week. Personally, I am even more tired than usual just from the fact of knowing there was an extra child here. In fact by teatime I was so exhausted I was rushing my two up for a bath by 5.30 just to get closer to the end of the day, rather earlier than usual. And now I think I will follow their early lead and get myself to bed too. Hopefully I can get a couple of hours in before the night-time bed-swopping begins anew...

3 comments:

Ruth Goodwin said...

Well done you! I have five on Thursday and am taking them all to the cinema so there's a recipe for disaster in the making! Will let you know how I get on.
RX

Sally said...

Thanks Ruth, can't tell you how much I appreciate all your comments, at least I know someone is reading! :-)

John Millward said...

I'm reading too!

I find it easier sometimes to have a friend round because they amuse themselves a bit more.

But I do the 5.30 bath thing!