Wednesday, 8 July 2009

Hopping

Just read five year old's first ever school report. Despite my determination to not crow too much about my lovely girl's achievements I just can't resist writing that it made me feel very warm to read how she's developed personally and academically at school in the first year. I was so worried about her emotional state of being in the period leading up to our change in family circumstances, but I myself have seen her grow into a happier and more confident child as we have all settled into our new living arrangements. So to read the first sentence: "She is a happy and polite little girl." was very heartwarming indeed.

In addition to the notes about her academic development, the teacher has noted that she has made some good friendships and has blossomed in confidence.

At the end of the report there is a page with a couple of comments from my daughter herself. Reading these I am glad to note that she doesn't (yet?) see school achievements in terms of the confines of the conventional classroom. She says: "I am very good at skipping and drawing." (True) And then: "I am going to try harder at hopping." You go girl, I reckon we could all do with being a bit better at hopping.

5 comments:

Half Mum Half Biscuit said...

That was lovely to read! I breathe a sigh of relief too when I see my six year old happy and confident.

Coding Mamma (Tasha) said...

Lovely. I especially like her own comments. And crow away - it's difficult not to, and we all understand!

Sally said...

Thanks for your comments :-)

Maternal Tales said...

Just popped over from BMB - saw you had (roughly) same aged girls as me so thought I'd come and say hi. Bless your 5-year old. Love the hopping bit. Hadn't thought about school reports (still have almost 2 weeks left here) - but hey, something to look forward to...

JK said...

Her comments are just lovely, gave me a giggle. I wonder about my own little man's emotional state, but I do think that as long as children know they are loved by those closest to them they are very resilient.