Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Mortality for the younger mind

I wonder sometimes whether all young children have as keen an interest in death as my two?

We have recently acquired a hamster - a birthday present for my six year old daughter who had been asking if she could have a pet for about two years before I finally caved in. Three year old has asked on numerous occasions: "When will Emily die?" in a fairly matter-of-fact way.

This morning at breakfast the topic was extended a little.

Three year old: "When will Emily die?"
Six year old: "You can tell when she's dead because she won't move, look she's still moving so she's not dead yet."
Three year old: "Oh."
Six year old (in a very matter-of-fact tone): "When Emily dies will we have to take her back to the pet shop or can we bury her in the garden?"
Me: "Erm, well I don't think they will want her back at the pet shop so I guess we can bury her."

Six year old (after a pause): "Can we bury her in the stony bit?"

1 comment:

Ju said...

That's funny, well sort of. We do hope that is just a stage.
My eldest has been a bit obssessed about mortality. I have posted few things about that, here http://maialarasaid.blogspot.com/2009/08/trying-to-tackle-difficult-question.html
and this:http://maialarasaid.blogspot.com/2009/08/trying-to-tackle-difficult-question-ii.html